Thursday, March 1, 2012

Spending Freeze FAIL

Update: So I broke my fast already! :/ I didn’t even make it a full week without buying something totally unnecessary. I resisted spending for two hours in the mall this past weekend with friends. And seriously I think EVERY store was having some kind of close out extra 75% off sale, but I stayed strong. It was clear in the mall that I did not need any of those items.

My friend Fabiana is joining the fast of no spending with me. She recently went into Old Navy to return something and get a black maxi.  (We decided that returns are totally acceptable under the no spending fast as long as you don't spend any additional money.) She ended up not buying the maxi and her text as to why was too funny:

I will keep you guys posted on my progress. In the meantime...spread love all around the world people!
~Miss Vines
“If I'm only going to have 1 black maxi skirt then that 1 skirt has to be clear and deliberate. Most importantly I have to love it." -Fab

This was so on point to what the goal of this fast is about: Only make purchases that are DELIBERATE and only for items that you LOVE.  I want to stop spending my hard earned money on compulsive unnecessary purchases. Defining what my true needs really are.

So to complete the story I have to let you in on what I bought. It was a contact lens case carrier with a small mirror. **holds head down in shame**

I was at the eye doctor and these cute little contact cases were right at the register so I just threw them it in the mix. Oh marketing you win again! But I will be stronger and I will get better. To make up for it I doubled the amount and placed it into my savings account, I know it’s not much, but it’s the principle.

1 comment:

  1. I think this was a valuable experience. You made the purchase without even *thinking* about it. It's not like you deliberately broke your fast. I think this shows that your choice of what to give up for Lent was a good one, because it's a tough one, and it's making you more aware of your habits. I say, we're all human and make mistakes. It's what you DO afterwards that counts. :)

    ReplyDelete