Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bye Bye Buying...

Hello Lovelies,
Today is Ash Wednesday which marks the first day of Lent. A lot of spiritual people celebrate this day as the beginning of a 40 day fast. Some give up bad habits, some take on good habits, but each person makes a sacrifice of some sort during these 40 days to honor our good friend Jesus.


Last year I gave up television and to say that was difficult is an understatement. Try walking into a friend's living room with a 60 in television and NOT looking at it, but I survived. I tried my best and it made me realize even more that cable is a rip off and now I live without it saving ~$100 / month.



This year I am challenging myself even further. I am giving up any and all unnecessary spending. For the next 40 days will not buy anything that is not a true need. This will require discipline...and with discipline there has to be rules.

So I have to define what my true needs are:
1. Food: Groceries and restaurant meals.
2. Shelter and Bills: Rent, Electric, Internet, Cellphone, Tithes, Daycare,
3. Transportation: Gas, and any car maintenance
4. Baby Needs: Diapers, Food, etc.

Anything outside this list will not be purchased for the next 40 days. No more shopping for clothes, shoes, toys, gadgets, make-up, purses , movie rentals, household accessories, or any of my beloved hair products.

So wish me luck and I will keep you guys updated on my progress. Jesus is love so spread some of that around people!!! :)
~Miss Vines

3 comments:

  1. I'm down for this too except i need new eye frames and im going to return some items from HM to buy another skirt. does that count as a purchase? really its an exchange, right? so its all good. 40 days we can so do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally do this with me....we can motivate each other! And I say vision is a pretty necessary thing so that exchange is well within the limits of the no spending clause :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you included "restaurant meals" as a need. I was gonna say, what about tomorrow night??! LOL!

    ReplyDelete